If you’re new to customization mods like unlocking the bootloader, gaining root access and installing root modifications, then this guide is just for you.
Our smartphones are incredibly powerful little devices. They’re literally portable computers so besides hardware limits, the only limitations with what we can do with them are the limits the software imposes. Thankfully, we can get past all of these limitations with software modifications, but these can by tricky if you are new to the whole idea of hacking into your smartphone. These things need to be done in a certain order and not many people are willing to walk people through the entire process from start to finish.
That was the whole reason for creating Android Explained and I’ve been using these customization starter guides as a way to take it a step further. I do my best to detail what is required before following through with a tutorial I have written, but even that can be daunting to go through multiple guides and try to sort them through yourself. So in this OnePlus 3 Customization Starter Guide, I’ll be breaking all of the OnePlus 3 tips and tutorials into 3 different sections.
The Minor section will be device specific tips that will be useful for completing the other tutorials (and they’re just something that everyone should know about). Then, the Core section will be a list of tips and tutorials that need to be done in a certain order (like unlocking the bootloader before you can install a custom recovery). Lastly, the Software section will be a place for me to list specific tips that will help you to learn the ins and outs of the OxygenOS features.
Core OnePlus 3 Tutorials
- How to Unlock the OnePlus 3 Bootloader
- How to Install TWRP on the OnePlus 3
- How to Root the OnePlus 3
Minor OnePlus 3 Tutorials
- How to Boot the OnePlus 3 into Recovery Mode
- How to Boot the OnePlus 3 into Fastboot Mode
- How to Boot the OnePlus 3 into Safe Mode
- How to Unroot the OnePlus 3
- How to Create a Nandroid Backup of the OnePlus 3
- How to Restore a Nandorid Backup on the OnePlus 3
- How to Fix the TWRP Restore Unlock Bug on the OnePlus 3
- How to Delete a Nandroid Backup on the OnePlus 3
- How to Install an OTA Update on the OnePlus 3 with Root
- How to Downgrade OxygenOS on the OnePlus 3
- How to Install Stock Recovery on the OnePlus 3
- How to Manually Sideload an OTA Update on the OnePlus 3
- How to Install a Custom ROM on the OnePlus 3
- How to Install a Custom Kernel on the OnePlus 3
- How to Install Xposed Framework on the OnePlus 3
- How to Install Xposed Modules on the OnePlus 3
- How to Change the DPI of the OnePlus 3
- How to Hide the Status Bar of the OnePlus 3
- How to Install the Nexus Launcher on the OnePlus 3
- How to Customize the OnePlus 3’s Lock Screen Shortcuts
- How to Enable Double Tap to Sleep on the OnePlus 3
- Best OnePlus 3 Custom ROMs
- Best OnePlus 3 Custom Kernels
Software OnePlus 3 Tutorials
- How to Change the OnePlus 3 Lock Screen Wallpaper
- How to Enable Dark Mode on the OnePlus 3
- How to Change Icon Packs on the OnePlus 3
- How to Change the OnePlus 3’s App Drawer Grid Size
- What is the OnePlus 3 Shelf
- How to Enable Double Tap to Wake on the OnePlus 3
- How to Enable OTG on the OnePlus 3
- How to Customize the Navigation Buttons on the OnePlus 3
- What are Gestures on the OnePlus 3
As mentioned, the Minor and Software tutorials are there for reference and they are linked to them from other tutorials when they are needed. Still, it’s a good idea to know how to do these things, but there’s no order that you need to do them in. The Core tutorials are different. So, for example, you will need to unlock the bootloader before you can install TWRP. So this is why unlocking the bootloader is at the top of the list before the TWRP tutorial.
You’ll need to install TWRP in order to root the OnePlus 3, so that is why installing TWRP is above the root tutorial. For tutorials in the Core section that require something like root access, you’ll see those mentioned directly in the tutorial. For example, you need the bootloader unlocked and TWRP installed in order to flash a custom ROM on the OnePlus 3. So the tutorial for installing a custom ROM will be listed as a requirement in that very tutorial.
As always, if you have any questions then please feel free to ask them in the comments section below, or under the tutorial you’re having trouble with.
If this tutorial helped you in any way, please consider donating at Patreon or PayPal. If you can't afford to donate then sharing this on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. will also help a lot.