Xiaomi is getting strict on their bootloader unlock process. With some patience and the proper instructions, it can be quite easy to do. There are a lot of steps so it may seem complicated but I am here to show you how easy it is to unlock the bootloader of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro.
Xiaomi is one of the most popular Android OEMs around the world. Their devices are so valued that entire companies have formed that do nothing but resell their smartphones and tablets in markets they are not currently available in. See, Xiaomi is a Chinese OEM and they have only just begun to expand into other markets these last few years.
Profits tend to be slim for these resellers though so a number them began installing malicious apps in them. Or they partner with other companies to pre-install an application on these phones. These really bad apps can only be done with an unlocked bootloader though. And again, sometimes these can be malicious apps so Xiaomi felt the best way to handle the situation was to add a waiting period.
However, this waiting period isn’t the same for everyone. Some can unlock their phones instantly. I was given a 30-day waiting period to unlock the bootloader of the Redmi Note 6 Pro but only 15 days on the Mi Mix 3. I don’t even think Xiaomi has a clue as to what the best solution is. They do say that the point of the waiting period is to protect their users, though.
So, let me go ahead and show you the entire process from start to finish. Some of you may end up having to wait, others may not. Just keep in mind that the first 90% of the embedded video below was recorded a month ago because I wanted to get it all on film. This way I could teach you the entire process from start to finish.
How to Unlock the Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro Bootloader
- Request permission to unlock the bootloader of the Redmi Note 6
You need to have a Mi account created, confirmed, and attached to a phone number so Xiaomi can verify you are the owner of this device.
- Open up the Settings application
- Scroll down and tap on the Mi Account option from within the Accounts section
- Log into your Mi Account
- Toggle the Sync option on
- Toggle the Find Device option on as well
Enter your password if you are prompted during either of these two steps.
- Enable Developer Mode on the Redmi Note 6 Pro
- Go back to the main menu page of the Settings app again
- Scroll down and then tap on the Additional Settings option
- And tap the Developer Options menu at the bottom
You may have to scroll down to see this.
- Then scroll and tap on the Mi Unlock Status option
- Tap the Agree button to grant permission when prompted
You should see this prompt at the bottom of the screen
- Read the text on the screen so you know the risks, then tap the Add Account and Device button at the bottom
- Assuming you have your SIM card inserted and you previously added your Mi Account, you shouldn’t see an error pop up
- Download and Extract the Mi Unlock program to your PC
- Open up the Mi Unlock program
It should be a file named “miflash_unlock.exe”
- Read the information again and then click the Agree button at the bottom
- Sign into your Mi Account within the Mi Unlock program
- Boot the Redmi Note 6 Pro into Fastboot Mode
- Connect a micro USB cable from the PC to the Redmi Note 6 Pro
- Click the Unlock button toward the bottom of the Mi Unlock program
- Wait through the two warning pop-up messages and click the Unlock Anyway button
You’ll see the Unlock Anyway button appear after the countdown finishes
- Wait for the Mi Unlock program to go through the Verify Device phase
- If you are lucky and get an instant unlock then the process will be successful and you can skip to Step #26
If you are like me though, you will be given a message saying you have to wait a certain amount of hours before you can unlock the phone
- After waiting the amount of time you were told, repeat the steps in this tutorial starting at Step #16
- If everything goes smoothly (whether you were forced to wait or not) you should see this image on the Mi Unlock program
- You will notice that your phone has rebooted automatically
There is no need to click the Reboot Phone button
- And Xiaomi will perform a factory reset on your device
You can see this by the short progress bar that appears at the bottom of the screen
- The Redmi Note 6 Pro will reboot again and this boot cycle will take longer
Be patient as Android and MIUI have to set everything back up again
- When the phone boots back up you will need to connect to your Mi Account again
Either over mobile data or a WiFi connection
- And finally, you can begin the setup process of MIUI to start using your phone again
- You can repeat Step #7 through Step #11 to make sure the bootloader is actually unlocked
I told you from the start, the process to unlock the bootloader of a Xiaomi device may look complicated from the start. Talking on a personal level, I don’t have much confidence in myself. But if there is one thing I know I can do well is break down a tutorial like this in a step by step process so that virtually anyone can follow along.
I do realize that it can be difficult to complete a tutorial just by reading text. Even though I have begun including screenshots of most steps involved, it’s just not the same as watching it. So that is why I embed a video at the bottom of me personally doing the step by step process. This way, not only can you read each step of the tutorial but you can also follow along with the video as well.
I Wish Xiaomi Didn’t Make Us Go Through This
In comparison to devices from companies like OnePlus and Google, this process is outrageous just so that you can unlock the bootloader. Even LG and HTC has made the process easier (assuming you purchased the correct version). But simply booting into Fastboot Mode and executing a command or two via the Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell is much better than all of this.
I wouldn’t even mind the process of registering your Mi Account with the phone and being forced to use the Mi Unlock tool if that’s all that was involved. That is still more steps when compared to devices like the OnePlus 6 and the Google Pixel 3. But at least it would be quick. I absolutely loathe the waiting period that Xiaomi makes us go through just to unlock the bootloader of devices like the Redmi Note 6 Pro.
But, it is what is and thankfully there are a lot of people online (myself included) that will help you accomplish your goal. Now that we have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 unlocked, we get to have some real fun with the device. I’ll be doing additional tutorials in the future that require you to have unlocked the bootloader of this phone.
If this tutorial helped you in any way, please consider donating via PayPal, Patreon, Cryptocurrency, or GoFundMe. If you can't afford to donate then sharing this on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, XDA, forums, etc. will also help a lot.